PDA

View Full Version : TACKLE BAGS VS. TACKLE BOXES???

Grizzly Gary
01-28-2007, 06:12 PM
I have both tackle bags & tackle boxes. How about you?

Which do you prefer? Why?

Grizzly Gary

treerat
01-28-2007, 06:23 PM
I have one of the bags . For trout fishing I just cary one of those small boxes that fits in the pocket .

btexpress
01-28-2007, 06:44 PM
I wear a vest and carry a few small boxes that fit in the many pockets. I usually cover a lot of ground and found this is the easiest way for me.

carl milks
01-28-2007, 09:53 PM
I have both for in the boat, I like both, but I tend to lean towards the box vs the bag. The bags aren't as bulky and stuff just about anywhere, but the main drawback I don't like about them is rain tends to get inside them getting cameras, smokes, ect all wet. Inside my box, all stays nice and dry. They both seem to hold about the same volume wise. But, the box sure is harder if you fall on it (experience talking). For that reason, I use the bag for Lake Erie, and my hardcover for the inland waters. For trouting and steelheading, I just carry a couple small boxes with my spinners and hardware in my pocket.

Grizzly Gary
01-31-2007, 05:02 PM
I am with you guys as far as a tackle box being much better at keeping gear dry and easily accessible. Camera, sunglasses, notebook and smokes all go in the top of the box. Plus I love those Plano boxes as they have the one side that has 3 rack type jobbies that I can hang a ton of jigheads on. That way as I lose one every three minutes on Kinzua I can quickly rerig without having to pull out one of the drawers.

My tackle bag has 7 smaller boxes where i keep the extra & unusual jigheads as well as my crankbaits and blade baits.

As far as tackle boxes go I don't think there is any better than Plano. Hell I can't even remember seeing another brand that caught my eye.

Grizzly Gary

Papa_d
02-11-2007, 09:07 PM
I guess I have to agree with you Gary. I use both myself and love using them. Each has a particuler job to perform and do it very well. My bag is of nylon and has four compartments. The center top loader holds 5 devided plactic boxes. Each of these having from 6 to 12 devided spaces themselves. All my plastics are seperated into these by size, type, color, and use. I can take a seperate box marked "Bass" and thats what is in it. The Majority of my tackle covers Panfishing. I use live nightcrawlers mainly. I do have a couple specials I made and developed myself to fish as "Float a Fly/Jig. These work especially well during the Spawn. Myu Hard (Plano) box is normally all hard baits, plugs, divers, frogs or whatever I happen to put in there. I'm still working on a compressed tote for less to carry . I've been doing this now for the last 22 years with no end in sight. Papa_d

Outdoorsman
02-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Bag all the way. You can have many boxes in the bag for multiple species. I have a few bags and when Im out working the shore lines I often can travel it with just a box than carrying the whole thing. I find it much more organized to have it that way.

One box rubber worms, the next spinners, the next lures and so on. Same for walleye. If you are a boat only fisherman than I think a box is fine. The bags that are out today are very nice and offer much holding power.

Bill J
02-13-2007, 09:20 AM
I am like you Outdoorsman....Bag all the way...

I used to be a box man years ago but once I switched to the bag I would never go back for the same thinking as you "One box rubber worms, the next spinners, the next lures and so on." All neatly marked, so no problem finding which one to grab out of the bag.

For trout it is all small pocket sized boxes.