PDA

View Full Version : KINZUA ICE REPORTS

Grizzly Gary
01-31-2007, 12:20 PM
Just got a call from a buddy who has been out at Webbs. He fished Fri., Sat. & Monday. Says there is about 4 inches of ice. Says he got one keeper eye each time he went. Tip-ups with Golden Shiners.

I still advise extreme caution when hitting the ice! Take your pics, life vest and a friend.

Anybody else have any reports to share?

Grizzly Gary

Grizzly Gary
02-04-2007, 10:28 AM
What! Nobody on the Zoo? With these extra cold temps we have been having even the Zoo should for sure be ready in the bays and the whole thing by next weekend I would think.

Grizzly Gary

doubleheader
02-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Most reports I have from the weekend were that the action was spotty and the ice iffy. I did see a 29" eye pulled from Kinzua over the weekend.

Grizzly Gary
02-05-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm being told ice is in the 2-5 inch range. A friend just called and said he was out at Webbs and got 2 eyes yesterday. 1 16" and 1 fat 20 incher. Tip-ups with Golden Shiners. Got them in 25-30 ft. of water.

Grizzly Gary

beanes78
02-08-2007, 08:50 PM
i was on the Zoo last saturday up in Sugar Bay. we caught 3 northerns and a musky on golden shiners. all pretty shallow.

Grizzly Gary
02-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Heading to the Zoo at about 1:30 this afternoon. Will report results later. Anybody got any hotspots they want to share??

Grizzly Gary

Action
02-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Someone said the Garbage Boom down by the Dam is hot right now and you know what to use there. :twisted:

Grizzly Gary
02-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Action I mighta shoulda gone to the garbage boom! :lol:

Hit a little nook down from Kinzua Point Overlook. We had 10 tip-ups and only managed 1 28" Pike and 1 9" Walleye. Let a newbie to the ice land the Pike and he was pumped!

Ice was a good 12" of good clear stuff. Had tip-ups from 12 FOW out to 35 FOW. Man it was cold. Wind was brutal!!! Using Golden Shiners.

We still had a fine time!

Grizzly Gary

Grizzly Gary
02-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Getting mixed reports here. Some guys are getting fish on a regular basis while others are telling me the bite is spotty at best. Anybody else have anything to add?

Grizzly Gary

carl milks
02-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Well, I FINALLY got a chance to get out Saturday! Although it was nice to get out and the day was beautiful (except for -5 in the morn), the fishing down right sucked. 10 tipups out, 11 flags, 3 perch, 1 small eye. Alot of hits where they killed the minnie and just left. Everyone I talked to had the same. Top that with the 12 inches of slush on the ice, $4.50 per doz for minnies, a parking ticket at Willow boat launch because they decided to start charging the day use fee in the winter now(new this week) without publisizing it, probobly won't go back out. My knees just can't take that slush!!!

Grizzly Gary
02-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Got calls from 2 more Kinzua Ice Anglers today and they both said that they did not land a single keeper Walleye. They have been hitting it hard at Webbs. They did get one very difficult Mud Puppy. Man I hate catching them things!

Grizzly Gary

John Lorenzo
02-27-2007, 08:05 AM
must be why I quit ice fishing and took up sporting clays!!!!!!!

Bryan Hoffner
02-28-2007, 05:41 AM
Can anyone tell me the travel conditions on the ice coming out of Willow?
Thinking of doing a little walking on saturday. If it isn't a bear to haul the gear.

carl milks
02-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Bryan, as per my prev post- that's where I was at last Sat. Since it snowed a bit more since then, along with a bit of rain, I'm 100% positive it's worse now, & it was a BEAR AND A HALF then. The snow/slush was the only bad part. It was pretty deep in places, very hard walking and pulling a sled as it kept breaking thru and tipping,catching, ect. About killed me!!! So much so, I'm not going back out. It just tore my knees up too bad, I'm still hobbling from it.

Grizzly Gary
03-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Starting to get reports that the bite has slowed at Kinzua. Only a short time left in the season. Guess it's time to start thinking about May opener!

Grizzly Gary

Bryan Hoffner
03-05-2007, 06:01 AM
6 of us went out of Willow on Saturday morning and headed down lake. Walking not to bad, that rain turned all the snow into slush/water and froze just enough on friday night that you only broke through the top every once in a while.

We didn't get setting up until probably 620 am which was to late. Fish were already hitting. Until about 1030 am we scored on 6 legal eyes(biggest was 20", yours truly did the catching there) also we took home I think 10 or 12 decent perch.
I'd have to say the number of short eyes caught was in the dozens and 3 legal Northerns and 1 short northern. We also had a ton of hit, run line out and then drops by the time you could do anything about it. After 1030 the whole thing went dead.

Lake was coming up and the shore ice was going bad.

John Lorenzo
03-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Dany Bryan that's a great day for Kinzua on the ice. It's almost enough to get me out there, "almost" is a very vague word though! LOL

MR ED
03-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Have been watching the Corps report. It looks like the water is starting to CREEP up. Has went up about a foot in the past week.

Is this just a fluke or will they begin to fill the pond ALREADY?? I thought is was a little later in the month last year. If the spawn is in late March to early April..... guess it is time to fill the lake.

Glad to hear about all the EYES. GOOD CATCH!!! Could be a better year for 2007.

MR ED

Bryan Hoffner
03-06-2007, 05:43 AM
Mr. Ed, the slow creep up would be due to the amounts of rain we got last thursday night and friday. That compunded with the low outflow. The run offs on the zoo were running well even though you couldn't see it. They were all running under the snow, when you got close enough you could hear them running very well.

I'm looking for a great open water season myself. I'm going to start it by fishing those darned crappie in the reservation come april. If you find em they are as fun as fishing eyes and eat just as well. Of course though when the first of may comes the crappie get forgotten about.

MR ED
03-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Bryan. How long into the open water season do the Crappie bite? I imagine that they are available all season, if you can find them. May want to take a stab at them the beginning of May. Are they still shallow at that time?? or are they already in deep water??

Last year in the DAV I caught a real nice crappie. Probably in the 12 - 14 inch range. Was huge!!! Sure would like to get into a mess of them thar critters.
Probably have to jig for them since the ban on shinners from the Erie Water Shed.

Any help would be appreciated. THANKS....

MR ED

Bryan Hoffner
03-07-2007, 05:52 AM
Mr Ed, #1 the shiner problem is cured especailly for someone like yourself that happens to be driving by Hogans Hut and Happry Hooker up in Ny to get here. It'll be on your way. Just get and keep a recept from what they tell me.

They generally are hitting in shallow around the brush and such into may a while. The bobber game is all I play! I do catch a few jigging and trolling small plugs every now and then but the bobber, light line tipped with an emerald is were I have fun. You may even wack an eye or two in the process

MR ED
03-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Bryan, THANKS for the info. May give it a try this year. I will let you know how I make out. Love them CRAPPIE.

MR ED

Grizzly Gary
03-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks to all for sharing info here for this ice season on Kinzua. Hope to be having open water reports real soon.