PDA

View Full Version : GOLDEN SHINERS WORKING FOR EYES

Grizzly Gary
01-31-2007, 12:24 PM
All reports are positive regarding Golden Shiners that I am getting. Many are stressed about the fact you can't get Emerald Shiners. But whether it is the Tailwaters or Kinzua the folks using the Goldens are having success.

What about you?

Grizzly Gary

Bryan Hoffner
02-01-2007, 05:57 AM
:violent1:

I of course still don't like em but know of a few fish being caught. No I'm down right still ****ed. but what the hay, I guess we as a whole are screwed. I'm sick of the traveing to cautch bait which will probably get stopped by the law for doing someday.

Gary, sounds like your question is trying rally behind the politcal end of the govs decision to end the transportation of baitfish. or is it to rally guys into buying bait from a guy that can't count bait when putting it in your bucket.
My buddy stopped last week before ice fishing to buy 2 dozen which means you get 24, the owner said there was 27 in the bucket, I need not say the number but there wasn't the 27.

Grizzly Gary
02-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Hoff,

I hadn't seen the article in the paper before posting this. I was just reporting the fact that several anglers I know were having success with the Goldens both on the Zoo and in the Tailwaters. As we both know we all have always preferred the Emeralds and looked negatively at the Goldens but the Goldens seem to work as well.

As to your bait count experience I would not be able to answer to that.

Grizzly Gary

Bryan Hoffner
02-01-2007, 11:18 AM
All is forgotten here gary. Sorry for busting on you, frustration is running rampid for some reason on my end, I let it touch a nerve it shouldn't have ever touched and I need to just accept the fact that this whole thing sucks and I/we can't do sh%^ about it accept catch our own bait until we aren't aloud to that.

I'm going to try and start experimenting with more artifical through this year. That way maybe I can just place 1 or 2 big orders through Cabelas every year and be done.

Swanny
02-01-2007, 06:46 PM
I had pretty good results before ice up with goldens. We used a mixed bucket of creek bait and store bought goldens , the goldens did as well as creek bait. I still think emeralds are the best minnow for eyes but ............. I am sick of talking about that subject!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grizzly Gary
02-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Hogans Hut in Stow NY. now has Certified Emeralds. Jason told me he had to jump through multiple hoops to get them.

We are trying to determine if you can bring the Certified Emarlds in to Pa. but haven't gotten an answer yet.

Also have heard that the Happy Hooker Bait & Tackle Shop in Ashville Ny. has the Emeralds. I have not spoken to Lisa to confirm this.

Seems to me if you can get them 7 miles up the road that Pages Sporting Goods in Warren should also be able to get them. Ny. & Pa. have different laws I can understand. But the bottom line here is that these Emeralds are all being fished in the same waters.

Makes no sense to me???

Grizzly Gary

Bryan Hoffner
02-05-2007, 05:54 AM
heard that rumor this weekend. There'll be some excuse or reason we can't have them and/or bring them down here. The great stae of PA.

How much a dozen?

Probably multiple payouts to afford these things. Then just hope the water temp in your bucket is right so they don't die before you use them.

Grizzly Gary
02-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Chautauqua runs into the Chadokoin which runs into the Conewango which runs into the Allegheny. Kinzua is part NY. and part Pa. These Emeralds can swim can't they???

This whole thing makes no sense to me! I certainly do not wish to damage the ecosystem but these fish are going to get into these waters eventually no matter what is done. They are already probably there.

Grizzly Gary

carl milks
02-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Emeralds have been in the Allegheny River for a long time- we used to drop net them off the wall below the dam before security closed it to fishermen. They were THE bait to use-plus, they are in the Zoo as well "naturally", have been for ages. That's why they work so well, the 'eyes are used to eating them.

Mighty Mike
02-06-2007, 12:42 PM
i heard you cant take the ny bait to pa. Is that true? If they are certified it should be allowed i think. Does any one here know for sure.

mike

steve marcus
02-06-2007, 04:37 PM
any bait can be taken to pa. from ny. as long as it does not come from the lake erie water shed. the emeralds and like have been coming from bait farms in arkansa i think and been certified disease free.

Bill J
02-06-2007, 10:04 PM
any bait can be taken to pa. from ny. as long as it does not come from the lake erie water shed. the emeralds and like have been coming from bait farms in arkansa i think and been certified disease free.

Not trying to start something with you Steve...but the 2 most important words in your post are "I think." Sure hope someone can come up with a definite, YES those certified emeralds can be brought into Pa.

Help us Gary, with all your contacts one of them must know for sure.

Grizzly Gary
02-07-2007, 03:15 PM
It is true. You can go to Ny and but the Emeralds and bring them back to Pa. if they are certified. Keep your receipt to prove from whence they came.

This is an outrage though. It is highly unfair that folks can go to Hogans Hut in Ny, buy Emeralds then come into Pa. and fish with those Emeralds but Dan Page of Pages Sporting Goods can not buy those Emeralds from the same bait dealer and sell them.

Makes no sense and is an injustice to the Pa. Bait shops. These folks are at a disadvantage due to government in-action.

Grizzly Gary

walleyebuster
02-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Gary were did you get the information on the fact of being able to bring emarld shiners into PA is legale. if the bait dealer is buying them under a probagation liecense then pages bait shop should be able to buy them from the same supplier that the bait shop you mentioned in new york gets them

Bill J
02-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Gary.....thank you for that info on buying shiners in NY and bringing them back into Pa. to fish with.

I just got done talking to the head Fish Warden here in Warren County and as you said, it is perfectly legal to buy them up in NY. and bring them into Pa. to fish with. He also stated the same thing you did. MAKE SURE YOU GET A RECEIPT STATING THAT THEY ARE CERTIFIED, and what bait dealer they were bought from.

steve marcus
02-07-2007, 05:19 PM
sorry to confuse anyone with i think didnt know for sure if it was ark. or minn. bait farms. as a bait store in pa. i do know that only emeralds that are available are small (tiny) none of my customers like them so dont stock them except for salting.

Swanny
02-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Why can't Page get them if our neighbors in NY can ? As far as only having the small ones at hogans and the hooker is most guys that fish Chautauqua only jig fish and they use the small ones to tip rapalas, anybody that uses tip ups up there are usually from Pa. I plan on hitting Chautauqua for pan fish on friday , I will be stopping at both bait stores to see what the chances are of getting large emeralds to use on kinzua saturday. I will post what I find out.

Mighty Mike
02-08-2007, 01:52 PM
it is not fair if you can buy them in ny to fish in pa but you cant buy them down there. sounds like typical govt bull to me.

mike

Bryan Hoffner
02-09-2007, 06:11 AM
My guess there is more at work here than we all know and are being told.
My thoughts are going to stay my own as to not start anything. (that's a first, I ussually like to start things)

I will live with the deal for now, I can just imagine if Dan could/can get them what people would have to pay per dozen. I know if I owned the joint they wouldn't be cheap.