PDA

View Full Version : ARCHERY 101

Grizzly Gary
08-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Thought it would be nice if those that enjoy the Stick & String would share their expertise and experience with those interested in Archery. The season is just around the corner.

Please share your thoughts on : Best Bow, scents, treestand placement, whisker bisquits, peep sites, kisser buttons and the like.

I know that you here have taught me alot already. Let's share the wealth of knowledge with those that visit and want to learn. Thanks!

Grizzly Gary

08-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Today's world of Archery is hughly prejudice motivated regarding brand loyalty and trinket preferences, with more gadgets than you can shake a stick or a string at....

That said, we'll try.....................................

treerat
08-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Best bow - one you can afford and is the right draw length and poundage . Dont go to heavy poundage . you can kill deer with a 40 # bow
Treestands . If you use one use a safety harness .Home made wooden stands need to be inspected and fixed yearly .Theese are very dangerous . Commercial stands also need to be inspected and fixed .
Arrows ones that are spined for your bow .This will effect accuracy
Broadheads sharp ones that fly good out of your set up .Most do not hit the same as field points
If you are new to bow hunting try to take a bow hunter education class . Some states require this to hunt . and even a vetran hunter may learn something from the coarse
Do lots of practicing before the season .

hunterdeneugene
08-17-2006, 02:41 PM
go to a reputable pro shop and find what your interested in and in your price range. They will measure you, adjust the bow to fit you, set you up with arrows, rests and accessories. There all kinds of bows out there so get a number on what you want to spend and start comparing. Used bows are all over E-Bay also, so find out your drawlength. You can find one on there and when you get it take it to a shop and they can help you set it up. Lots of shops have package deals so go and check them out. I go to Tall Tales in Russell on RT 62 for all my archery needs. Good prices, good selection and great service.

treestandtimmy
08-17-2006, 03:42 PM
windswalker is right, don't get caught up in all the hype! you can get a great bow, and all the equiptment you need without breaking the bank. The big names make you think you need all of their accessories and miscellaneous crap that is just a waste of money. I have had the same bow for 10 years and it kills deer just as good as the brand new Mathews or any other brand. The only thing I spend the big bucks on is my scentproof clothing. Anything that gives you an advantage with wind is priceless when your bowhunting, and anyone with any experience will agree.

08-17-2006, 09:45 PM
I don't fret tradin' alotta loot for good equipment, shoot a Mathews myself......best wheel bow I've ever owned and I've owned a couple......................

'Course I'm judging things on multiple levels some don't think to visit.

Good stuff sells itself and junk stays on the Walmart shelves..............................

darcher
08-22-2006, 08:59 AM
As a certified instructor and a dealer for many years I can offer a few pointers. One thing is for sure, it pays to go to a pro shop. Some think that speciality shop are to expensive. In most cases this is just not the case. Plus the wealth of knowledge that is there, not only from those behind the counter but other customers as well. As a long time shooter I will say this, if it were not for the new teck bows of today I would not even be able to shoot a bow. I , in the past, have hammered my bow arm by shooting to long of a draw length and to much poundage. Bows without the new geomotry have to much hand shock for me to shoot, causes me pain.

The best practice for archery deer hunting is 3-D shoots. Learning to shoot under peer pressure, with watchful eyes of your friends, laughing when you screw up, and the thought of losing a $10.00 arrow!! These things will help handle the pressure when your trophy steps up. Don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself for awhile, and ask to shoot with others that have done it for some time. Glean from their experience, most are willing to help you become a better archer, thus a better archery hunter. Enough for now, shoot em straight!!

09-11-2006, 12:52 PM
New to the area and want to know the best archery shop.darcher where are you located. ilive in Jamestown. Who is the best i heard that tall tales is good. thanks.

darcher
09-11-2006, 03:54 PM
I would say that Jewell Archery is by far the best archery shop around!!! We are located in the middle of Russell, PA. Just before the Post Office.We get alot of our customers from the Jamestown area.
On another note, to all of you in archery land, I have just returned from Hamot Hospital after a short vacation there. They are great people but do not recommed having a stroke to get there. Good to be back!!!

Grizzly Gary
09-11-2006, 06:57 PM
darcher,

Sorry to hear you were under the weather. I hope all is well now? Take it easy Big Guy as we want you around for a long time! :lol:

Knowing darcher as I do, I also can attest to the fine service you will recieve at Jewell Archery of Russell Pa.! These guys are top notch. Call them at (814)-779-9255 or e-mail darcher at darchero4@verizon.net

I can also recommend Wild Wind Sporters of Sugar Grove Pa. Ron is also a man that provides one on one hands on service. You can visit them at www.wildwindsporters.com or call them at (814)-489-0270

I am proud to reccomend both of these fine businesses.

Grizzly Gary