PDA

View Full Version : CRANKING FOR EYES

Grizzly Gary
02-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Crankbaits are a definite proven tactic for Walleyes. A hot Crankbait bite can produce some real Hawg Eyes.

On Erie the guys seem to love the Renoskys. On Chautauqua Hot-N-Tots are hot. On Kinzua Rapalas & Thundersticks seem to be the Cranks of the day.

So what kind of cranking do you like to do?

Grizzly Gary

Bryan Hoffner
02-12-2007, 05:26 AM
I like the kinzua crank times. High winds and warm weather have always produced average to Hawg eyes in the reservation in the spring early summer. This is a condition we're always watching for on certain structures while in a tourny. It just don't happen often enough. PA waters I run the structure with plabner boards with bigger hardware and still catch eyes with musky mixed in here and there.
I love the Shad Raps in the res. Certain places you'll even catch us cast and retrieve method under the right condition on the right structure instead of trolling. That has caught us our biggest eyes over the years in super duper shallow water. Some of these places I wouldn't even think of pulling a planerboard or my boat through. You'd lose the board, prop, and gear. I can't wait to be chugging along pulling the the #5's and 7's in the reservation waters in May. Slow but sure following the contour of the structure. Sometimes even have to put out the drift sock to slow down a tad bit more.

carl milks
02-12-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm with you Bryan- Rapala Shad Raps all the way!!! I troll 'em, cast 'em, there's no "wrong way" to fish 'em!!! They've accounted for so many fish over the years. I even use them in Canada, 'eyes just can't resist them. Of course bass, pike and muskies all like them too. I just love that feel when they tap-tap and take off!!!

Mighty Mike
02-13-2007, 11:28 AM
gary why would you talk about crankbaits? you got a box full you never use. you are a jigging fool. hes got ones that are brand new that he has had for 5 years. i cant get him to troll no matter what on kinzua.

mike

Swanny
02-13-2007, 04:53 PM
# 9 - #11 rapalas on boards will produce some nice eyes on kinzua if the conditions are right, I really like smithwick stick baits on chautauqua although hot n tots fair well also. Hoff , don't get use to Greggs boards we want them back before May 5th!!!!!!!!!

Bryan Hoffner
02-14-2007, 05:07 AM
Gregs boards, heck I gave them back years ago. I don't know what you're talking about.

I have them in a very safe place as long as the dog doesn't chew on them. I'm surprised that I haven't been reprimanded as of yet to get those back. Must be Greg figures they're safer with me than him. has he found his phone yet?

Grizzly Gary
02-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Listen Mighty Mike, I like to jig, what can I say! I know that Cranks can produce some huge hawg eyes. I know that you yell at me once we got a limit of 15 1/4 inchers in a tourny to go after the money fish by trolling cranks. I just find it boring.

Promise to spend more time trolling this year. Did by that new set of yellowbirds 3 years ago that are still in the packages.

Hoff, don't give them what they want! They are the enemy!

Grizzly Gary

Mighty Mike
02-17-2007, 10:24 AM
what about them trolling rods you bought 3 years ago to. i'll believe you are going to troll when i see it with my own eyes. you need to buy a kicker motor.

mike

Grizzly Gary
02-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Well then KICK UP WITH THE MONEY!!! :lol: Ask Mary for it! :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol:

I 100% promise that I will spend time trolling on the Zoo this year! How's that?!

I don't know why but trolling on a water like the Zoo just don't seem right as opposed to doing it on a big body of water like Erie. Clearly trolling wise I am mentally challenged! :?:

Grizzly Gary

Outdoorsman
02-19-2007, 10:36 PM
I hate trolling and always have. I love jigging !

FishingMarshall
02-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Most of the crank bait fishing that I do for eyes is river fishing. I like using the shad rap RS especially right at dark. Blue/gold and natural shad have been my best colors. Sometimes I troll crankbaits in lakes for saugeye and then I use a balsa shad rap or a wally diver.

Action
02-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Hey Mike, I didn't realize that you were that much older than Gary. The older you get the more you will troll. :P I forgot that you just got married, now I realize why you want to troll. BTW, you need to have Gary talk to Jason G. about having that band that you had at your reception at the DAV event. They were awesome. :bom:

Mighty Mike
02-21-2007, 10:44 AM
not much older but older. with age comes experience and wisdom. something my little grizzly friend dont have. he he he i will hold you to that trolling promise mr grizzly. those shiny cranks of yours will be cranking. action they sure are a good band. i bet those willowcreek guys would love them.

mike

walcat
02-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Over in Erie: Reef Runners,Stinger spoons and worm harnesses. All have a time and place.

Old School Dave
02-22-2007, 06:24 PM
I fish Geneva, Ashtabula, and Conneaut (central basin Ohio waters) and we use almost exclusively spoons and willow leaf harnesses. I do run Thunder sticks every now and then and they produce but not as well as the spoons and harnesses. Almost all my big fish are taken on the harnesses behind dipsies. Just something about dragging that meat that the big boys like.
I have noticed since being on this site that some like the Bomber Long A's and Renoski's who fish the Eastern basin of Erie. Sorta funny since 20 years ago all I used was the bomber Long A's,Mag. Wiggle Warts and NK spoons, now we cant buy a fish on the big cranks.
My best inland water go to cranks have always been the Hot-n-Tot, Wiggle Wart and Shad Rap for years and have caught hundreds of eyes on them from early spring until ice on. Now I'm a jig fisherman on inland waters. Go figure.

Grizzly Gary
03-04-2007, 12:00 PM
It has always amazed me how one crank can be so hot one year and the next it sucks?!?! Can anybody explain this phenomenon?

Grizzly Gary

Bryan Hoffner
03-05-2007, 05:13 AM
Can't explain that one gary but I sure hope it doesn't happen on the zoo this year. Just spent a ton of money at cabelas yesterday morning on shad raps for this spring.

I have noticed that Summer open water trolling on the zoo the past couple years we're starting to do better with tail dancers than our traditional lures we've been catching them on over the years. When I say summer I'm talking July-September hitting the deeper supended fish over the big points and drop offs.

Grizzly Gary
03-05-2007, 08:58 PM
I guess this is one of the great un-answered questions regarding fishing. One year a bait is hot. The next year you can't catch crap on that very same presentation. Sure makes you wonder? Plus it just goes to show that the age old statement "That's why they call it fishing & not catching!" stands true!

You would think though that one of these High Falutin' fishing types like Gilligan, Eyedoktr, OSDAVE, Flipper, Bucksnort could provide some insight??

Grizzly Gary

Bryan Hoffner
03-06-2007, 04:54 AM
I agree Gary, Come hither boys and tell us how/why you fish for a living instead of having real jobs like the rest of us poor soles. (excluding Gary in that comment of course)

Or maybe Gary they can't tell us because it's that they each have one of those special fishing mice in their pockets that let's them in on the secrets and if they let the whole story out their mice will chew a hole through the pocket and swim away.

I think some of it is being able to create that extra time on the water over the ordinary average joe and have the funds to afford what you're doing.

I'm still working on this one, there's gotts be a way. When I am on the lake I always look at the other side of the rainbow after a rain. I can't even find that little guy in the green suit let alone his pot of gold.

MR ED
03-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Been a watin for those high falutin guys to shed some light and insight on this topic. Think they are still in the DEEP FREEZE??? Come on guys....thaw out.... we need help. PLEASE! :shock: :shock:

MR ED

Grizzly Gary
03-09-2007, 10:56 AM
The most fun thing about trolling cranks for me is watching the rod tip work. You can always tell if the crank is running right by watching that tip. I really like it when the tip stops and assumes that Walleye lean.

My favorite cranks for Kinzua are Thundersticks, Stick Rapalas from size 9-13 and I have caught a few with Walleye Divers. Colors are Firetiger or Black/Silver. Have lots of jointed Rapalas but haven't had much luck with them.

I have caught some dandy Pike throwing # 13 Stick Rapalas back in the nook & cranny bays at Kinzua. Have also done well with them in the Tailwaters of the Kinzua Dam.

Fess up BuckSnort & Gilligan! Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Grizzly Gary