PDA

View Full Version : Chautauqua Lake Ice fishing

RangerBT
02-12-2007, 06:54 AM
I fished at Maple Springs last night (4-6:30pm) 38 FOW and only caught 2 short walleye. I have heard of a few keepers being caught off of Vikings and also Prendergast. Ice is very good, 6-8 inches. Not alot of snow to walk through. Burtis Bay has had quite a few guys/gals out there but they are only catching small perch and a few gills. No news on any crappies there yet. Can't wait for soft water. Randy

GR8FUL2FISH
02-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Fished in front of Vikings from about 3-8 on Sat. Only caught 1 15"er. Didn't move around too much though...my hut was too warm. Might try Prendergast or Chautauqua this week.

steve6526
02-12-2007, 08:41 PM
whent to mayville last sun 9:30 am to 2:00 got about 40 perch in the bucket through back mabey 100 and one 15 in bass GOOD DAY !! when the perch just stopped biteing one time we where looking down the hole and there was a muskie laying down there he left and about a hour later they stopped agin looked down the hole and ther he was agin.we where only in 7 ft of water so you could look down and see the bottem.we where watching the perch take the bait..

Grizzly Gary
02-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Steve, what was the size of those Perch? Thinking I might hit Chautauqua friday. Not sure, I might got to Kinzua.

Grizzly Gary

steve6526
02-13-2007, 10:50 PM
mostly 8 to 9 in few smaller that wouldn't have made it. they are getting eyes all over now sounds like the bite is between 4:00 & 6:00 pm most are saying 30 to 35 fow but a lot of short ones. long piont they are saying 16 fow not so many short ones some over 20 in. we've been after perch & pike going after the eyes starting this weekend after all the good reports .

Grizzly Gary
02-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Charliedog Brant whacked a nice limit of Slabsides in the 11 to 13 inch range on Chautauqua Tuesday. Won't tell me where but we are going to hit it again on Friday. Said he put a bunch in the 9" range back thru the ice.

Another bag of delicious fillets for the DAV Game Dinner thanks to Charlie!

Swanny are you in?

Grizzly Gary

Mighty Mike
02-17-2007, 11:21 AM
guys are getting walleyes at the vikings in 30 fow jiggin nils masters and rapalas. getting some short ones but picking up a keeper here and there.

mike

Grizzly Gary
02-21-2007, 08:35 AM
I to am getting reports of eyes being taken at Chautauqua. Mission Meadows has been producing. 30 fow with Rapalas with a small shiner.

Crappie are coming thru the ice on the Mayville side at the park. 10 - 12 inch types which are fine eaters.

Grizzly Gary

Grizzly Gary
02-22-2007, 09:23 PM
CharlieDog was on the Chautauqua ice from 4 am till 8 pm yesterday. He fished out of Mayville. 300 paces from when you hit the ice from Mayville Parks parking lot.

He got a nice bunch of fat Gills and a dozen 11-12 inch Crappie. He got them with a Glo Swedish Pimple tipped with a small chunk of Perch meat. He also got a few with Maggots & Wax Worms. But he said the chunk of Perch meat was a hot item.

He said the best bite was the 1st lite & last lite hours. Said it was pretty slow during the daylite hours.

CharlieDog you are the man! Another good bag of fillets for the DAV Game Dinner!

Grizzly Gary

Grizzly Gary
03-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Still getting good reports of nice catches of Gills and Crappie at both Burtis Bay & Mayville. Also getting reports of Walleye action at Vikings & Mission Meadows. Lots of short eyes but if you stick it out you can get your keepers.

Grizzly Gary

Grizzly Gary
03-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Just got home from a day on the ice at Mayville. Got a bucket full of Bull Gills!

318 paces out from the parking lot. Look for the white wood ice shanty that is out there.

I was fishing a two tone white & Chartreus Glo Gig tipped with wax worms. I landed at least 15 HUGE Bull Gills. Plus another 20-30 nice hand size types. Must of caught 100 little Perch. Sure wish they would grow up some day. We also landed a bunch of 6 inch type Crappie. But couldn't get the keepers to go. Mr. Nutter had his Aqua-View and you could see the Crappie were there. Just couldn't get them turned on.

Me, Charlie Dog & John L. still managed to fill a bucket good strong Gills.

They will make some fine eating at the DAV Game Dinner.

Grizzly Gary

Mighty Mike
03-03-2007, 10:03 AM
all day on the ice with you and charlie brant. that had to be interesting.

mike

Grizzly Gary
03-06-2007, 05:22 PM
I for sure was an interesting day. Charlie Dog, John L and I had a fine time. We gatted up a nice couple that had moved here from Florida. The gentleman had brought his wife out onto the ice to experience the joys of hard water angling. She seemed to be having a real good time which is great.

I also met the Mayor of Chautauqua Lake Ice, one Ken Johnson. I could see right away why he was the Mayor of the lake. Fine man.

These guys all think the Gill & crappie bite should get real hot here in the next week or so. Once that water starts flowing down the holes it gets hot, hot, hot!

Grizzly Gary