PDA

View Full Version : Quaker Lake ice

Linda O
02-12-2007, 09:35 AM
The ice conditions at Quaker are great 6-9 in good clear ice and I had a very good day fishing for Pike. Hey Eddy where the heck were you? could of used that power thing of yours my arms are killing me this morning. I wimped out and only drilled 5 holes, but in Quaker sometimes that's enough.

Hit the Ice 8:30 am (litterally, hey griss wanna see my rotten spot? tee-hee) Sunday feb 11 left 3:30 a few slushy spots where the snow drifted a bit. Caught 8 pike gave 4 away to other people on the lake: 1 30in, 3 around 25-28ish kept one for myself 35 in 8.5lbs and yes Griss I did fillet it upside down and you missed it!! the other 3 one was smaller than my bait!! The other 2 about 9-15in sticks.

Gorgeous weather and I enjoyed the company of two friends and their dog who skied out in the afternoon. We really do live in a jewel of an area.

Any other Quaker reports? Many of us try to get there on the observed Presidents Day in Feb. (next Mon) The more the merrier!! Come join the fun!!

Linda O

treestandtimmy
02-12-2007, 01:53 PM
hey grizzly heres another chance to take your ny archery buddies fishing. i know you have at least 10 tipups. i told you i like to ice fish. maybe i can see this linda o do her thing.

02-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Where the heck is Quaker La :roll: ke???

Mighty Mike
02-13-2007, 11:22 AM
its on the other side of kinzua. take the exit that says quaker which is one past the steamburg/onoville exit. same one you would take to allegany state park. quaker is just before the entrance to the park. remember to go to the park office to get a fishing permit.

mike

steve6526
02-13-2007, 09:27 PM
whent to the parks office two weeks ago they told us we didn't need to get a permit anymore. they quit doing that two years ago . its a long drive clear over to red house to find out you dont need one and go clear backto the quaker side .

02-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Ok,Thanks! Now, i know where yer at!!! :D

buzzbait1965
02-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Hey Linda, where do you guys fish at Quaker? Gary has told me about the lady who fillets things upside down, I gotta see that.If you fish on the upper end far side of the lake I may have actually met you before. Ran into a big group of people from Penn. there some years back, a couple of families of very nice folks. That was a great day of fishing, 60 degrees, sunny, had my dad, son, and a bunch of guys there and the fish where biting like crazy. The only bad part was my son got severly sunburned on his face, his face swelled so much he could hardly see through the swollen eyes. I thought my wife was going to kick me out of the house she was so ****ed. Who would of thought you could get that sunburned in March. Well I now carry sunscreen whenever he goes with me, you live and learn.

I posted about using whole frozen sardines for bait over there, you guys ever try them?

I fished Red House with a buddy Sun. and we didn't even have a bite. It sucked usually pick up a bunch of bass and some trout but nada. I think we are going Sat and Mon.(Gov't jobs do have there advantages) so I think we will try Quaker one of those days. Let me know where you'll be and maybe I'll come visit. Do they have the road on the back side of the lake open? They use to but haven't done it recently. Sure made it easier than dragging gear from the main road all the way through those fields and across the lake.

Linda O
02-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Sorry Buzz... I havn't been on the site in a while to reply to you. It might of been us, we have been fishing the south (opposite the spillway) end for about 9 years now. I was out with a group over the wknd sun and monday of pres. day. Sunday it blew pretty hard out there caught nice fish though two 30+ and a handfull of 20-30 and some hammers.

Traditionally that weekend there is a group of us on the South end of Quaker and Monday usually becomes Kids day with no school. I don't think an adult handled a line all day on Monday. Both days there are cookers going and plenty of food. lets see we had rabbit, pheasant, deer meat and fresh pike. Come and join!!

I try and Fish every Sunday but am usually able to fish during the week also!! Give me a call and I would join you for an afternoon. 368-7464 The backside road to the swim area is not plowed this year.

Monday the creek bait out fished the 'dines. One fella was using slabs of white bass and catching the same quality fish!! Those Pike don't care! Gizzard shad and herring have done well also.

Linda O

Linda O
02-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Gary
You and Carl have been missing out on alot of 'upside down' action going on Quaker the past couple weeks!! Monday morning the action was -18 but the action was still happening. You had to be aware of chapped lips though! tee-hee

Linda O

buzzbait1965
02-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Sounds like good action Linda. We went Sat morn. near the spillway we caught 4, all hammer handles. It's been a crappy year for me ice fishing. My kids started skiing so Dad gets to work weekend nights at Holiday Valley, damn kids don't understand how expensive an activity that is. Ha Ha. Getting home at 1:30 am and getting up to go at 5:30ish just hasn't been going well. A buddy and I usually fish the mornings, he's on call for the DOT in the afternoons so needless to say we haven't been out much.There was a group of guys form Ohio up that end Sat. Saw them going through knee deep snow in the fields and figured we would go the easy route. The lake was pretty empty, only them and a couple other guys.

I wanted to go Mon. but hadn't seen the family in about two days. Figured I better try and keep peace with the Mrs.

I may have to burn some time during the week. If I do I'll give you a shout.

Linda O
02-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Buzz...
I certainly understand the family thing. Up towards the second set of fields by the wooden sign on the south end the path is packed down well so the snow is not deep and the dragging is not bad. It is even shoveled out over the bank from the road where the plow went by.

This week I know Ed Y. is off Thurs. and looking to fish if the rain holds off. The Ohio guys were there early on Sunday also. Didn't see their truck when we got off later that day. If you go over any day in the S. end there is a retired school teacher friend of mine that likes to fish that section, he and his buddy would love the co. I'm sure.

You catch your share of short ones over there, but there is always action and you know there are big ones lurking. I love fishing Quaker on Ice! And there are no secrets!!

Linda O

buzzbait1965
02-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Linda, do you guys catchany trout through the ice? If so what is the secret?

We have been fishing there for a long time and I have one trout and my buddies have none. We have tried all sections, depths, and baits, but no luck. We use to get some nice smallmouths near the spillway but that seems to have really slowed down. Do you think it is the pike that have really devastated the rest of the fishing that much? They put some awful nice trout in there and we do catch some at ice out but I can't for the life of me figure out where they dissappear to in the winter.

Any idea?

Linda O
03-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Hey buzz,
Know what you mean about the trout. In the spillway end a couple of gents' I have fished with this year caught two nice smallies deep 25' on live goldens about a foot off the bottom, a 20 and the other about 16 both healthy fish. That was the first week of March, and on the 13 Jiggin a golden near the rocks on the spillway another gent caught a 15 bow he was about 18 feet down in roughly 30ft of water.

I don't fish the ice much for trout, but have always been told to fish suspended more, and nearer the spillway end. Talked to a guy that does fish ice for trout when I was comming off last Friday and he fishes right on the bottom for them. He was near the coves at the spillway. Good luck.

Quaker has once again been good to me for the Pike and memories. My 2007 ice year is over and I look forward to 08 and meeting a few more new people on the hard water. Thank you Quaker Lake!!!

Linda O

buzzbait1965
03-14-2007, 02:01 PM
My buddy was there on the 13th, near the spillway. He said there were a bunch of guys and girls, but nobody was doing much of anything. It's that last ice syndrome. Although with such a late start to the freezing process I thought maybe it wouldn't be so bad. We went 11th and never had a bite. Quite a fewe guys and we saw maybe 5 flags from others. I was hoping to get out this weekend but between not much action and the weather. I think I'll do something else.

The shoreline ice is going to hell in a hurry, and the lake will probably be muddy, it was a little stained close to shore this past weekend from the runoff. The creeks are roaring this morning from all the rain and snow melt. Hope the ice goes off fast, I'd like to get some spinning in before I head south for easter.