PDA

View Full Version : NOODLE RODS??

Grizzly Gary
02-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Noodle rods. Who here uses them and why? Please share your tips and tactics regarding the use of these rods.

Thanks!

Grizzly Gary

firemedic3314
02-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Mine is a 11ft 6 incher............wont use anything but this rod for steelies. Takes a while to get used to the length, but Damn.......when them big steelies go on a tear up or down the creek..........that rod bends almost double and takes it.....allows me to use lighter line for em too.....I use 6 lb flourocarbon. Lottsa action.....lots of sensitivity at the tip.

I also use mine for crappie fishin in the spring......long reach can really help sometimes. Have used mine for Walleye on Lake Erie too.....caught quite a few on it.....again lots of action....yet the rod takes the beating instead of the light line snappin.

Biggest thing is to match the rod with the reel. Balance is everything.

FishingMarshall
02-25-2007, 09:13 AM
I like using a 9 1/2 foot nooodle rod for steelhead.

02-25-2007, 11:51 PM
I have 2 noodle rods.One is 9'6" and the other is a 11' 6".I don't use them as much as i used to because i do alot of my fishing with a fly rod but i agree with both gentlemen.The flexibility of a good noodle rod and a good reel with a good drag is a hell of a combination on steelies.I also use a 6lb. test florocarbon line.Getting used to the length is also a pain but isn't as bad as it seems.They're great on any fish or body of water.I used it on pike in Canada one time.It took a beatin but worked great! I also think that they don't tire you out like alot of rods too because of little effort to pitch a bait or lure out..Easy to slam in the back door of the truck or car too because of the length.Broke 2 that way.Ha! :lol:

Grizzly Gary
03-04-2007, 10:16 AM
I have a 9'6" also. I also do not use it very much. I actually bought to use at the Kinzua Tailrace off the wall behind the power plant. Can't fish there anymore since 911. Which is a bummer.

I have also used it on the once or twice i've trolled on Kinzua. I would agree that the best application for a noodle rod is Steelie fishing. You get those bruts on in those streams & it's nice to have that flexibility.

I will ask the question that may sound dumb cause I gotta tell ya I don't know the answer? Why do they call them noodle rods?

Grizzly Gary

River Wader
03-04-2007, 05:30 PM
I use a 8'6" Med Light rod . Not exaclty classified as a noodle rod, a little
on the short side. Works as a great River trout rod.

Great casting ability, excellent sensitivity when catching big
river trout. Have also used it for Walleyes in the river when bouncing
shiners.

Been using this rod for the last 4-5 yrs.

03-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Gary, My understanding is that when St.Croix was developing that rod, it was said that it was so limber that it was like a cooked noodle!!! I guess the name stuck.Thats what i heard from Gary at Poor Richards.Bought 2 from him. 8)

Cattafly
02-09-2008, 06:29 AM
I've been thinking of getting a noodle rod to use for jigging weed pockets while drifting. My thought is that I could reach out a little farther and have better sensitivity. Has anybody tried using one like this? Just wondering if the pluses would outweigh the minuses.

Gilligan
02-09-2008, 07:38 AM
I've been thinking of getting a noodle rod to use for jigging weed pockets while drifting. My thought is that I could reach out a little farther and have better sensitivity. Has anybody tried using one like this? Just wondering if the pluses would outweigh the minuses.

Not sure your technique in the weeds, for me the soft noodle rod would not work.
I fish big baits usually 1/2 oz and pull big walleye out of pockets. When you hook up you better have a rod with the backbone to stop the fish and get it to the boat or it will be burried and lost in the weeds. I had a custom built 7 1/2' med heavy St Croix built. Would have liked longer but that was the longest blank they had in the action/weight I wanted.

Old Fart Ray
02-09-2008, 11:54 AM
I had a custom built 7 1/2' med heavy St Croix built. Would have liked longer but that was the longest blank they had in the action/weight I wanted.

I use a 7.5' bps graphite flipping stick w/10-40 power pro when I have to go into the weeds & horse them out on kinda a lockjaw day w/pressure... I usually can get them pullin' the weedline's w/boards...

hunterdeneugene
02-09-2008, 01:07 PM
a noodle rod is a slow action rod. The action and length allow one to use a light line for line shy fish and ultra clear water conditions as you would find in winter steelheading because the rod takes the pressure, not the line. The downfall to using one is the slow action makes it harder to get a good hookset. They are used for steelhead and are primarily fished with egg sacs or flies. Noodle rods are also used for crappies, especially down south. Alot of companies market noodle rods for steelhead and crappies. The are usually 8 1/2 ft long to 12 foot long, it just depends on the company, but your better noodle rods are 10 1/2 foot to 12 foot. They are usually rated from 2-8 lb test. One thing your not going to be able to do is horse a fish with these rods. Alot of rod making companies....Okuma being one for instance, market noodle rods under steelhead rods so you may think it's not a noodle rod, when in fact it is if it is light action, rated for light line and is long. I have owned a few in the past. I had a 12 footer, an 8 1/2 footer and a 10 1/2 footer. I still have the 10 1/2 footer and it is by far the best size in my opinon. The 12 was too long, unless your fishing big water like the Salmon River or Oswego. The 8 1/2 footer didn't quite have the noodle action like a longer rod.

Cattafly
02-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Thats just the kind of information I was looking for. Probobly saved me the money on something that would end up collecting dust. I don't think they would have the backbone for what I wanted it for.