Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oak Orchard NY Salmon Fishing ?

Senior Member Six Point

Quote Originally Posted by cskud View Post
    Went up the lower in a 16 ft 40 hp smokercraft to devils hole area 20 years ago with a buddy and made several deals with the Lord during that trip about what I will do if I survived ! It was pretty hairy to say the least - used 5 oz bottom bouncers with plugs , a 200 lb anchor - caught fish but never really relaxed and enjoyed it - prob won't go back in a boat - any shore fishing there? - fish the Catt hard , occasional trip to Pulaski ,Fredonia, Oak and 18 mile. Had some friends catch a couple kings casting spoons off a lake Ontario break wall last weekends so I'm all fired up ( prob a little early) about trying it this weekend at the Oak or 18 mile.
    I wouldn't go up to the hole either in a 16 ft boat, lol and never anchor up there !!!!!! Go up as far as the rocks and drift back down to the power plant platform and then go back up and drift again, never anchor up there !!!!
    If you decide to try it again I will take up in my 19 ft Starcraft and you would have a relaxed and productive trip. Biggest salmon we ever caught up there was a 35 lber my son caught. At first we thought he had a snag but then it started to move and we knew it was a big one. It took almost 35 minutes to get it in the boat with me driving and my son reelin it in.
    robs salmon.jpg
    we'll see ya on the water
    rebs

WOW ! - Thats a dandy ! - Must be crazy fighting a hog like that and trying to keep the boat off the rocks and out of the water intake !

Senior Member Six Point

Quote Originally Posted by cskud View Post
    WOW ! - Thats a dandy ! - Must be crazy fighting a hog like that and trying to keep the boat off the rocks and out of the water intake !
    There are no intakes down there, the intakes are on the upper river. What you see down there are the discharges of water warm oxygenated water after it has gone through the power plants on both sides of the river. It is not hard place to fish as long as you pay attention to where you are, do not allow your boat to drift past the fishing platform and out in front of the discharges. Steel head fishing is also very very good up there.
    rebs

Ontario fish starting to move. Good place to look is at [url]www.olcottfishing.com and click on the webcam. When there is a bunch of guys fishing on the breakwall you can bet the fish are moving up.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, then remember that 50% of the people are dumber that that!

There is also a webcam that shows Elk Creek in Erie at www.unclejohnselkcreekcamp.com
    Think of how stupid the average person is, then remember that 50% of the people are dumber that that!

Senior Member On the Leader Board SR1's Avatar

Fished the oak today hooked up on alot of fish the salmon are dieing off but the others are showing up strong.
    Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
    Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
    Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon

Senior Member Six Point

The salmon run in the lower river is about finished for this year. We did manage some nice ones, now its time to start on the steel head.
    rebs

Senior Member Grand Master of Grizzlyland hunterdeneugene's Avatar
    some field, woods or Great Lakes trib somewhere
    Blog Entries

heading up tomorrow morning for browns and steel on floats......
    "Don't forget to go F yourself every chance you get........." Shooter.

Senior Member Grand Master of Grizzlyland hunterdeneugene's Avatar
    some field, woods or Great Lakes trib somewhere
    Blog Entries

had a great day. Pops and our buddy Rick landed a dozen between them.....all browns. I have committed myself to floating beads and have been hooking the crap out of them. Landing is another story. I landed the one brown, but I tell you my hook-ups are 10-1 of theirs. I lost numerous browns, steelhead and a huge Atlantic. I like this float fishing deal.....

"Don't forget to go F yourself every chance you get........." Shooter.

Nice fish... and Pop still kills me... Tell him to keep his reel out of the water cuz they dont work too well once the temps drop below freezing after being dipped.. LOL
    "EVERYBODY DANCE NOW!" ~ C & C Music HDE