Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer jerky made from burger !!

Senior Member Grizzly Bear Outdoorsman's Avatar

Default Deer jerky made from burger !!

I never thought of this and went to Cabelas the other day and bought some hickory flavored stuff and I have to say it turned out damn good. All these years and never heard of it.
    Stop telling God how big your storm is...and start telling the storm how big your God is.

Senior Member Bull Moose coalbedbuck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ive been making mine like that for 10 years! Its great!
    THE DEER HERD IN PA IS FINE!!!
    LEGALIZE SUNDAY HUNTING!!!!
    ALLOW INLINES IN THE LATE SEASON!!

I have a Buddy in Dubois that makes it that way. It sure is Good.....

Senior Member Big Buck

Like Coalbed I have known of this for many years. Can't say that I have done it though. Makes very good sense if you think about it...tenderized.
    870 Boy

A Country Boy can survive.

Senior Member Grand Master of Grizzlyland carl milks's Avatar

Been doing it this way for at least 10-12 yrs, maybe longer. Used to make sliced before that, this is MUCH easier and better!!! Variety of premade mixes available or come up with your own!!
    I finally got my head together--now my body's falling apart!!!

Senior Member Grizzly Bear Snookman's Avatar

I prefer sliced. Looks more like regular jerky. I slice first, marinade second, dehydrate or smoke. But then again we have one of those old fashioned electric deli sized slicer, very cool and easy, porcelain.

Senior Member On the Leader Board

I have made it before but it was kind of a pain in the butt. I have a circular dehydrator and I had to put down wax paper so it didn't fall thru tray till it hardend up some and then I flipped it.

Senior Member Grizzly Bear Outdoorsman's Avatar

I just cant believe I never heard of it. I have been doing jerky forever. Is there any ideas you guys have used as far as flavor goes. I have often given burger away and I will never after this. How the hell did I not know of this is beyond me.
    Stop telling God how big your storm is...and start telling the storm how big your God is.

Senior Member Grand Master of Grizzlyland carl milks's Avatar

When using this method, you should'nt use "burger" as mixed with any fat. Ground meat (beef, venison, turkey,ect) as lean as possible is best. If actual burger (with fat) is used, it will be a bit greasy and turn rancid rather quickly--safe to eat for maybe a week or two with refridgeration. When processing my deer, I just set aside 10-15 lbs of ground meat, no fat added for later use as jerky. Plain ground meat cures quik--within 5-6 hrs in dehydrator and needs no fridge. I use a jerky shooter gun, lays even/uniform strips on my round 5 tray dehydrator. I just squeeze the trigger and shoot the jerky onto the trays in a continuous strip following the contour of the trays, leaving about an 1/8 inch between strips. To get the correct cure, I use Nesco brand regular jerky mix, adding some of my own ingredients, ie garlic powder, crushed red pepper, cayenne, ect. Cure is important--salts, prague powder is a necessary evil when making jerky, incorrect curing can result in food poisoning.
    I finally got my head together--now my body's falling apart!!!

Been using these flavor spices for years with burger. I like to use 90/10 burger or ground venison.

http://www.nesco.com/products/Jerky-...pice-and-Cure/