Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013/2014 PA and NY Archery Reports

Senior Member On the Leader Board

First night out and saw nothing but a coon.

Senior Member Grizzly Bear Snookman's Avatar

Unconventional? I'd call it awesome. Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by 870Boy View Post
    Had a great "First" real hunt of the year today. Enjoyed sitting in the tree and watching chipmunks and the leaves fall. I did end up seeing 6 doe and 3 bucks. Of course they were the 3 that were not on the hit list. Had the bucks close enough I could hear them crunching apples.

On another positive note, the boy who works for me made his very first bow kill tonight. He had been hunting around his house and not seeing much, so I told him where to go in the state land. He had a small doe come in and bed down 36 yards from him. He then proceeded to climb down the tree and stalk to within 12 yards. She stood up and he drilled her. Pretty unconventional, but it worked!

Senior Member Big Buck fishinjohn's Avatar

I have cut up 4 deer since archery opened up in NY, and I can't believe the fat on these deer already! I could he wrong, but I think we re going to have a long winter!
    What doesn't kill a man, only makes him stronger

The farmers almanac predicted a long snowy winter. I know my buck had a good layer of fat on him already.

Senior Member Big Buck

Maybe the deer just more / better feed this year than compared to last year? I can only hope...

With that being said, I have seen a fair amount of black on the Wolly Bugger Catapilers I have seen.
    870 Boy

A Country Boy can survive.

Senior Member Grizzly Bear

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbhuntin View Post
    The farmers almanac predicted a long snowy winter. I know my buck had a good layer of fat on him already.
    Not trying to take away f rom what you're sayin but think about it, you stopped him from going into full rut
    He was fat this week, how fat would he have been in 5 weeks after the rut? Bettin he would lost most of it.
    Times aren't as they once were and never were what they are going to be.

Senior Member Bull Moose mikeymjr23's Avatar

The doe Kelly's uncle got last week had a TON of fat on her...more than I'm use to seeing on deer.

"Life is tough, but it's much tougher when you're stupid"

John Wayne

Senior Member Big Buck fishinjohn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hoffner View Post

Not trying to take away f rom what you're sayin but think about it, you stopped him from going into full rut
    He was fat this week, how fat would he have been in 5 weeks after the rut? Bettin he would lost most of it.
    Hoff, you're 100% spot on.. the buck I ve cut have had fat on them, but that will be gone in 3 weeks.. the amount of fat on a couple of the flatheads I've cut is a lot for this time of the year!
    What doesn't kill a man, only makes him stronger

Senior Member Bull Moose coalbedbuck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And we did have a seasonably colder than usual september.... which lead to those deer you cut doing two things..feeding and bedding..
    Now i wont say we wont have a bad winter but that extra fat could be due to the deer puting the extra feed bag on while it was cooler last month.
    THE DEER HERD IN PA IS FINE!!!
    LEGALIZE SUNDAY HUNTING!!!!
    ALLOW INLINES IN THE LATE SEASON!!

i agree. but as for the wooly buggers i seen 2 today and they were both 85% brown so who knows as long as we have some snow on the ground for bear season. I had a fun hunt yesterday. I sat for a couple hours int he morning but decided to climb down and do some still hunting and within 10 mins i had a 6 point at 50 yards making a rub without a clue he was being watched after he moved out of site i had a 4 pt wind me and crossed the trail at 30 yards. as i crested the to pf the hill and heard some leaves rustle and looked to see a doe sneaking down thru the beech brush right at me. I squatted dwon and when she went into a dip i drew. She popped up at 6 yards but seen me and the only thing i could see clearly was her head and neck so she ran off. I went a little farther and seen another doe that crossed the road and snuck to within 45 yards of another deer and seen it was a spike so i knlet behind a stump and he fed past at 40 yards. the deer are moving alot up here in northern potter since the temps cooled down a bit.