Thread: South Branch of Tunkhannock Creek

Default South Branch of Tunkhannock Creek

Today we hit the South Branch of Tunkhannock Creek at Factoryville, PA (behind Keystone College). The creek was crowded with about 8 other anglers.

Anglers Footbridge over the "Stinger Run".

The Dirtbag Flyfishing Posse was 4 strong with myself, Todd Carr, Tom Gerzarowski, and Bob Bruns representing!

The water flows were still up and swift but with a good stain to it. Water temps fluctuated from 43.7 at 1130 to a balmy 45.2 at 1500. The 2 degree change helped the fishing.

Some action shots: Todd nymphing in the deep

Todd at the head of the Bridge Pool

Stoneflies were the ticket of the day. They were big from a size #12 to #14 and the hatch was thick in the afternoon, like fuzzy snowflakes buzzing around you.

This pic shows 2 stonefly "clinger" nymphs that were about a size #12 and one who has just hatched out of it's nymphal shuck. It is now drying it's wings for a few minutes prior to taking flight.

Bob nymphing the "Dogleg Turn" next to Rte's 6/11

Tommy G and Todd sharing tactics on the "Christy Flat".

Bob and Tom were the lucky (skillful?) anglers of the day. Bob had at least 3 'bows to his nymphs and Tom had 2 fiesty 'bows. However, Todd and I were dedicatedly consistent with a big fat goose egg.

However, not all was lost... we did have a very good time with beautiful scenery, warm weather, good friends, and tasty eats at "Da Freez" in Tunkhannock.
    www.jjsjigs.com we are the language of bass.

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies." - Bob Lawless

"Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly." - John Gierach

Senior Member On the Leader Board

nice pics. looks like a good strech of water. there was a good hatch up here yesterday and today and a couple trout rising also.

great photos looks like a nice creek